TIPS TO REDUCE STRESS
10 Easy Ideas to Aid Relaxation and Stress Reduction
- Listen to calm music – Playing calm music can lower blood pressure and reduce cortisol, a hormone linked to stress.
- Call a friend – Good relationships with friends and loved ones are important to any healthy lifestyle.
- Talk yourself through it – Just tell yourself what you have to do to complete the task and that everything will be OK.
- Eat right – Try eating fruits and vegetables, and fish with high levels of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Laugh it off – Laughter releases endorphins to improve mood and decrease levels of stress-causing hormones.
- Try tea – Try green tea. It has less than half the caffeine of coffee and contains healthy antioxidants and theanine, an amino acid that has a calming and soothing effect on the nervous system.
- Be mindful – From yoga and tai chi to meditation and Pilates, these systems of mindfulness incorporate physical and mental exercises.
- Exercise – Getting up and moving releases endorphins and can improve your mood almost instantaneously.
- Sleep better – Make it a point to get the doctor-recommended seven to eight hours of sleep. It may be the most effective stress buster on our list.
- Breathe easy – While shallow breathing causes stress, deep breathing oxygenates your blood, helps center your body, and clears your mind.
Not a YMCA member?